kafka-users mailing list archives

From Jakob Homan <jgho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Kafka questions
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 18:17:40 GMT
I'm not meaning to push back; just curious as to the drawbacks of PDFs
versus wikis.  I was surprised to see PDF-backed design docs described
as "very bad" when I've seen this approach work well in multiple
projects (e.g. HDFS-265, MAPREDUCE-326, HBASE-3857, ZOOKEEPER-1016,
BOOKKEEPER-11, HDFS-1073, HIVE-1555).  Posting PDFs and the
change-driver incorporating feedback until consensus emerges seems
like a more natural counterpart to our SOP of posting patches and the
coder incorporating feedback until +1 is given.
-jg

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> Yeah, that's the point of a wiki, sharing.  One person should not own a design doc.
 Frankly, I don't understand the push back for such a simple document.

> Regards,
> Alan
>

> On Jul 20, 2011, at 10:34 AM, Jakob Homan wrote:
>
>> Doesn't need to be, but could be.  It's usually up to the person
>> proposing the change/driving the discussion to create new versions of
>> the PDF.  In my experience, when people attached the Word doc, others
>> would complain that they didn't have Word, and when people attached,
>> e.g., the laTex document people would have complain they didn't know
>> ancient Egyptian...
>> -jg
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>>> Are you saying that the source document for the PDF is also attached to the issue?
 I don't see it in KAFKA-50.

>>> Regards,
>>> Alan

frozen PDF document.  I'll turn the question around.  What problem do you see storing the
document in a wiki format?