kafka-users mailing list archives

From Jun Rao <jun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HA / failover
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:43:56 GMT
Roman,

Without replication, Kafka can lose messages permanently if the underlying
storage system is damaged. Setting that aside, there are 2 ways that you can
achieve HA now. In either case, you need to set up a Kafka cluster with at
least 2 brokers.

The first approach is to put the hosts of all Kafka brokers in a VIP and
rely on a hardware load balancer to do health check and routing. In the
case, all producers send data through the VIP. If one of the brokers is down
temporarily, the load balancer will direct the produce requests to the rest
of the brokers. Unconsumed messages on that broker will not be available for
consumption until the broker comes up again.

 The second approach is to use the built-in ZK-based software load balancer
in Kafka (by setting zk.connect in the producer config). In this case, we
rely on ZK to detect broker failures.

Thanks,

Jun