kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.0-incubating (candidate 3)
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 20:18:22 GMT

On Oct 14, 2011, at 1:08 PM, Neha Narkhede wrote:

> Alan,
>
>>> Were you going to rebuild the tgz so that it did not have the candidate-3 bit
in its path?  What about the rename of the tag?  If you change any of these you need to restart
the vote since this email is the record of what's been voted on.

> We intended to let people vote on the RC3, let the vote pass, and then
> just rename the tag and tgz to remove the "-candidate-3" from the
> name. The contents will stay the same.

The *contents* will contain the "-candidate-3".  Not sure why the project would want that
especially since you intend to rename the tag.  Also, when you rename the tag there's no way
to tell from the proposal that's being voted on that this is what happened.

> Our understanding is that if
> the contents stay the same, we don't need another vote. Is that right
> ?

Restarting the vote is very common even for well established projects.  It's to be expected
for podlings that are working out the kinks.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Regards,
Alan

> Thanks,
> Neha

the release have to be provided for review.  Artifacts cannot be published after the fact
even though they may be built from a tag.

>>> So since KAFKA-133 is not yet resolved and will take quite some sbt
>>> specific work, we can pass on that for this release. We can start
>>> publishing to Maven after the next release.
>>
>> That's fine.  What do others in the community think about this?  Were they counting
on a release of Maven artifacts as well?  If that's what is everyone's understanding then
the release should be good on this front.

>> Were you going to rebuild the tgz so that it did not have the candidate-3 bit in
its path?  What about the rename of the tag?  If you change any of these you need to restart
the vote since this email is the record of what's been voted on.

>> Thanks for being so patent.  Getting the first release out for an incubating project
always has its fits and starts.