kafka-users mailing list archives

From Jay Kreps <jay.kr...@gmail.com>
Subject perf testing
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 19:06:51 GMT
Neha and I have been doing so work on perf testing. My past experience with
these perf and integration testing frameworks is that

   1. This kind of testing is extremely important. At least as important as
   unit testing. A lot of the bugs that are caught in production could be
   caught be good integration tests but likely will never be caught be unit
   tests.
   2. It is hard to get all your pieces scripted up so that you can fully
   automate the perf analysis you want to do and run this every day.
   3. It requires dedicated hardware that doesn't change from day to day.
   4. One of the biggest problems is that perf code is always kind of an
   afterthought. As a result one never gets to a framework that is good enough
   to use. Instead you keep re-writing the same test harnesses over and over
   but with little tweaks for each new test you need to run, then throwing that
   code away because it is so specific it can't be reused.

To hopefully help I started a wiki where we could work out some ideas for
this. The idea is basically just to dump out all the stats we have now to
CSV and do some analysis in R. Then script this up in a way that we can
craft "test scenarios" and run a bunch of these different configurations.

Wiki here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Performance+testing

Would love to hear people's thoughts.

-Jay