kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.0-incubating (candidate 3)
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 18:37:40 GMT

On Oct 14, 2011, at 11:21 AM, Neha Narkhede wrote:

> Alan,
>
> Thanks for looking into this.
>
>> The binary tgz should not be offered to assist in the review unless you're going
to publish it as well, i.e. provide it as a download.  Signing it will only make people think
you're going to publish it.  Not a showstopper.  Something to consider next time.

> Yes. We intend to publish the tgz too. That helps users run the
> quickstart and unit tests on a release quickly. I checked some other
> incubator projects and top-level Apache projects. They seemed to do
> the same.

Yes, that's fine.  Your statement "binaries are provided for convenience" is what confused
me.  When a vote occurs all the artifacts and their signatures that will be published should
be provided for review.

review.  http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html

> We actually haven't yet resolved
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-133. From what you had
> mentioned, our understanding was that you have to wait for at least
> one release to be able to publish to a Maven repo. Do you think this
> blocks us ?

If it's the intention of the project to publish Maven artifacts as part of this release then
they need to be provided following the guidelines outlined in http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html.
 This means that KAFKA-133 needs to be resolved before the vote.  Maven artifacts cannot be
published after the fact even though they may be built from a tag.

To recap, all the artifacts that are going to be published as part of the release have to
be provided for review.  Artifacts cannot be published after the fact even though they may
be built from a tag.

>> Is kafka-0.7.0-incubating-candidate-3 the intended final tag?  If not maybe it should
just be kafka-0.7.0-incubating.  Once this goes out you can never change it.

> I'm thinking that since RC3 and the release tag is the same, we can
> add the kafka-0.7.0-incubating tag and delete the
> kafka-0.7.0-incubating-candidate-3 tag.

Simply moving the tag should be fine unless you want to pick up more stuff from trunk.

Regards,
Alan