kafka-users mailing list archives

From Patricio Echagüe <patric...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Consumer iterator error
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 23:09:21 GMT
Jun and Neha, Thanks again for the quick response.

I use Kafka 0.7

What I'm trying to achieve is to not block on the iterator. So I set up a
consumer.timeout.ms=300. The pseudo code is something like this:

private void myMethod() {
  try {

      for(Message message: stream) {

            System.out.println("Message received: " + message.toString());

        }

  } catch (ConsumerTimeoutException e) {

   // do something

  }

}

when a timeout occurs, next time this method is called it does
stream.iterator() (see the "for" loop in my snippet). So answering Neha's
question, I do create the iterator again. What I don't re-create is the
MessageStream. Do I need to re-create the stream as well ?

Just requesting a new iterator after a timeout doesn't seem to help.