kafka-users mailing list archives

From Joel Koshy <jjkosh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Kafka mirroring and zookeeper
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 17:38:44 GMT
Hi Oliver,

I was reading the mirroring guide and I wonder if it is required that the
> mirror runs it's own zookeeper?
>
> We have a zookeeper cluster running which is used by different
> applications, so can we use that zookeeper cluster for the kafka source and
> kafka mirror?

You could have a single zookeeper cluster and use different namespaces for
the source/target mirror. However, I don't think it is recommended to use a
remote zookeeper (if you have a cross-DC set up) since that would
potentially mean very high ZK latencies on one of your clusters.

> What is the procedure if the kafka source server fails to switch the
> applications to use the mirrored instance?

I don't quite follow this question - can you clarify? The mirror cluster is
pretty much a separate instance. There is no built-in automatic fail-over
if your source cluster goes down.

> Are there any backup best practices if we would not use mirroring?

You can use RAID arrays for (local) data redundancy. You may also be
interested in the (intra-DC) replication feature (KAFKA-50) that is
currently being developed. I believe some folks on this list have also used
plain rsync's as an alternative to mirroring.

Thanks,

Joel