kafka-users mailing list archives

From Edward Smith <esm...@stardotstar.org>
Subject Consumer State Description in design.html
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2012 17:04:52 GMT
I didn't want to open up a bug unless there was some concurrence on
this.   Please review the change below and see if I'm just
misunderstanding things or not.  This paragraph in the doc took me a
long time to digest because it was describing the contrib/hadoop
consumer and not how simpleconsumer or consoleconsumer work:

Consumer State (the second heading like this in the file)

In Kafka, the consumers are responsible for maintaining state
information on what has been consumed.  The core Kafka consumers write
their state data to zookeeper.

However, it may be beneficial for consumers to write state data into
the same datastore where they are writing the results of their
processing.  For example, the consumer may simply be entering some
aggregate value into a centralized...... (rest of section remains the
same from here)

Ed