kafka-users mailing list archives

From samal <samalgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Newbie Q: consumer group
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2012 04:24:18 GMT
I am having hard time understanding this. Any src where it is explained ?

"Each consumer process belongs to a consumer group and each message is
delivered to exactly one process within every consumer group. Hence a
consumer group allows many
processes or machines to logically act as a single consumer. The concept of
consumer group is very powerful
and can be used to support the semantics of either a queue or topic as
found in JMS. To support queue
semantics, we can put all consumers in a single consumer group, in which
case each message will go to a
single consumer. To support topic semantics, each consumer is put in its
own consumer group, and then all
consumers will receive each message. A more common case in our own usage is
that we have multiple logical
consumer groups, each consisting of a cluster of consuming machines that
act as a logical whole. Kafka has
the added benefit in the case of large data that no matter how many
consumers a topic has, a message is
stored only a single time."

/Samal