kafka-users mailing list archives

From Dave Barr <dave.b...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Consumer re-design proposal
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2012 05:49:11 GMT
On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Neha Narkhede <neha.narkhede@gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the goals of thinning the Kafka consumer client is removing the
> zookeeper client from the consumer. Without this, Kafka consumer
> client would depend on the stability of a zookeeper client.

If there's a stability issue with the zookeeper client, then that
should be addressed.

ZK is a fine tool for service discovery and coordination.  It seems
like any new system that forced me, as a consumer, to use yet another
system to bootstrap and discover where my brokers are for a topic
would be a step backward.

I'm curious, why, specifically, is removing ZK a design goal
(especially when it's such a core component of the broker)?  I think
of other projects, like HBase, which seem to have no issue with using
ZK in their client.

--Dave