kafka-users mailing list archives

From Evan Chan ...@ooyala.com>
Subject Re: production deployment
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2012 16:50:17 GMT
It might help to have a build script create a .zip file with all the
necessary files in it.

At Ooyala we are still using the binary distribution of 0.6, but we use a
Ruby deploy script to rsync the distribution + our own config files.

-Evan

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM, Jay Kreps <jay.kreps@gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW it would be great to get feedback on how we could improve this. The
> linkedin folks are all using linkedin's internal deployment system, so we
> haven't done much thinking in this area and personally I am not up on the
> latest and greatest deployment tools.
>
> -Jay
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Chris Burroughs
> <chris.burroughs@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > On 06/11/2012 05:09 PM, Todd Bilsborrow wrote:
> > > Just curious - how are folks on this list deploying Kafka in a hosted
> > production environment? Do you just unzip/build/run in place, on every
> > broker machine? Or is there a more binary distribution approach that
> people
> > are taking?
> > >
> > > - Todd
> > >

> > At AddThis it looks something like:
> >  - start with latest Apache release (or svn checkout)
> >  - Make a new custom tarball (remove contrib, custom jars, maybe change
> > defaults).
> >  - Have a separate set of templated config files (for brokers IDs etc.)
> >  - rsync everywhere
> >  - Pass off to whatever command and control tool [1] is cool these days.
> >

> > [1] fabric, capistranto, shell scripts, whatever

*Evan Chan*
Senior Software Engineer |
ev@ooyala.com | (650) 996-4600
www.ooyala.com | blog <http://www.ooyala.com/blog> |