kafka-users mailing list archives

From Jay Kreps <jay.kr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Number of consumers limited to number of partitions
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 15:41:33 GMT
Yes, the reason for this is that if two consumers consumed the same
partition internally we would have to keep track of per-message consumption
(which is expensive) and the ordering guarantee would be broken (since the
actual processing in the two consumer processes might happen out of order).
Since you can always have more partitions this should not be a limitation,
just a parameter to be aware of.

-Jay