kafka-users mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade from 0.8 trunk to 0.8 GA?
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2012 22:20:47 GMT
Hi,

Thanks Neha.

> We made protocol changes up until last Friday, so I would wait for
> another few weeks before deploying 0.8 in production, if you'd like to
> avoid incompatible releases. However, upgrading from 0.7.2 to 0.8 is
> also backwards incompatible and will require careful deployment
> planning to correctly release 0.8 without service interruptions.

Do you plan on writing this up?

Thanks,
Otis
----
Performance Monitoring for Solr / ElasticSearch / HBase - http://sematext.com/spm

>________________________________

to 0.8 APIs, and deploy a version of 0.8 from HEAD or nightly build?

>Not yet. 0.7.2 is very stable and is deployed in production for
>several months without problems.
>
>> * How stable or buggy is Kafka 0.8 HEAD?
>
>It is feature complete, and like I said, there are performance bugs
>like memory leaks, that we are working on.
>
>> * If we switch to using 0.8 now, what are the chances of incompatibilities in terms
of how data in Kafka is stored? (I would like to avoid having to do data conversions or anything
that can interrupt our service)

>We made protocol changes up until last Friday, so I would wait for
>another few weeks before deploying 0.8 in production, if you'd like to
>avoid incompatible releases. However, upgrading from 0.7.2 to 0.8 is
>also backwards incompatible and will require careful deployment
>planning to correctly release 0.8 without service interruptions.
>
>HTH,
>Neha
>

>On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 5:49 AM, Otis Gospodnetic
><otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> How production-ready and how GA-compatible is 0.8 HEAD now?
>>
>> Context:
>> We're starting to use Kafka in a few projects at Sematext (one of them is in my sig
below) and are using Kafka 0.7.2.