kafka-users mailing list archives

From David Arthur <mum...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Kafka Node.js Integration Questions/Advice
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2012 16:58:45 GMT

On 12/20/12 11:46 AM, Christopher Alexander wrote:
> During my due diligence to assess use of Kafka for both our activity and log message
streams, I would like to ask the project committers and community users about using Kafka
with Node.js. Yes, I am aware that a Kafka client exists for Node.js (https://github.com/marcuswestin/node-kafka),
which has spurred further interest by our front-end team. Here are my questions, excuse me
if they seem "noobish".

> 1. How reliable is the Node.js client (https://github.com/marcuswestin/node-kafka) in
production applications? If there are issues, what are they (the GitHub repo currently lists
none)?
Just FYI, there is another node.js library
https://github.com/cainus/Prozess. I have no experience with either, so
I cannot say how reliable they are.
> 2. To support real-time activity streams within Node.js, what is the recommended consumer
polling interval?
What kind of data velocity do you expect? You should only have to poll
if your consumer catches up to the broker and there's no more data.
Blocking/polling behavior of the consumer depends entirely on the client
implementation.
> 3. General advise observations on integrating a front-end based Node.js application with
Kafka mediated messaging.