kafka-users mailing list archives

From Neha Narkhede <neha.narkh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade from 0.8 trunk to 0.8 GA?
Date Sun, 09 Dec 2012 17:57:29 GMT
Otis,

I wouldn't call 0.8 HEAD production ready right now, there are still
some performance issues that we are working on. At LinkedIn, we are at
least 2 months away from deploying 0.8 in production.

> Questions:
> * Would it be wiser/simpler for us to switch our dependency from 0.7.2 to 0.8, code to
0.8 APIs, and deploy a version of 0.8 from HEAD or nightly build?

Not yet. 0.7.2 is very stable and is deployed in production for
several months without problems.

> * How stable or buggy is Kafka 0.8 HEAD?

It is feature complete, and like I said, there are performance bugs
like memory leaks, that we are working on.

> * If we switch to using 0.8 now, what are the chances of incompatibilities in terms of
how data in Kafka is stored? (I would like to avoid having to do data conversions or anything
that can interrupt our service)

We made protocol changes up until last Friday, so I would wait for
another few weeks before deploying 0.8 in production, if you'd like to
avoid incompatible releases. However, upgrading from 0.7.2 to 0.8 is
also backwards incompatible and will require careful deployment
planning to correctly release 0.8 without service interruptions.

HTH,
Neha

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 5:49 AM, Otis Gospodnetic
<otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How production-ready and how GA-compatible is 0.8 HEAD now?
>
> Context:
> We're starting to use Kafka in a few projects at Sematext (one of them is in my sig below)
and are using Kafka 0.7.2.