kafka-users mailing list archives

From Ian Friedman <...@flurry.com>
Subject Large number of Partitions
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 21:53:06 GMT
Hello, I am a complete newbie to Kafka and am trying to evaluate its usefulness for our particular
application.  I plan to have a lot of consumers in a single group, and it seems like the best
way to load balance messages across consumers without knowing ahead of time exactly how many
consumers you will have is to simply have a large number of partitions so that each consumer
takes a significant portion of them.

This line of thought has lead me to the following question: What is the potential overhead
from creating a large number of partitions on a topic?

We would probably have at least 300 consumers to start and want to have room to grow. And
I'd probably want a number of partitions about 5x the number of consumers to absorb consumers
dying/being brought online. Should I be concerned about this in terms of memory overhead or
performance?

Thanks,
Ian Friedman