kafka-users mailing list archives

From Vadim Keylis <vkeylis2...@gmail.com>
Subject Compression in kafka 0.8
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2013 04:55:09 GMT
Good evening. I would like to preserve logs in kafka for 2 days. Due to the
size of data it must be compressed otherwise it will take enormous amount
of disk space. Its my understanding that the only way to store messages in
kafka compressed is to enable compression on the producer side, is that
correct? Will they be sent to consumer also in compressed format? How the
consumer can check if stream been sent compressed or not? Are there other
options that will allow storing data in kafka for n number of days
compressed?

Thanks so much,
Vadim