kafka-users mailing list archives

From Dragos Manolescu <Dragos.Manole...@servicenow.com>
Subject Arguments for Kafka over RabbitMQ ?
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 18:40:34 GMT
Hi --

I am preparing to make a case for using Kafka instead of Rabbit MQ as a broker-based messaging
provider. The context is similar to that of the Kafka papers and user stories: the producers
publish monitoring data and logs, and a suite of subscribers consume this data (some store
it, others perform computations on the event stream). The requirements are typical of this
context: low-latency, high-throughput, ability to deal with bursts and operate in/across multiple
data centers, etc.

I am familiar with the performance comparison between Kafka, Rabbit MQ and Active MQ from
the NetDB 2011 paper<http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/srikanth/netdb11/netdb11papers/netdb11-final12.pdf>.
However in the two years that passed since then the number of production Kafka installations
increased, and people are using it in different ways than those imagined by Kafka's designers.
In light of these experiences one can use more data points and color when contrasting to Rabbit
MQ (which by the way also evolved since 2011). (And FWIW I know I am not the first one to
walk this path; see for example last year's OSCON session on the State of MQ<http://lanyrd.com/2012/oscon/swrcz/>.)

I would appreciate it if you could share measurements, results, or even anecdotal evidence
along these lines. How have you avoided the "let's use Rabbit MQ because everybody else does
it" route when solving problems for which Kafka is a better fit?

Thanks,

-Dragos