kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Yu, Libo " <libo...@citi.com>
Subject RE: rebalance issues from mirrormaker
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2013 15:29:04 GMT
Sorry for my late reply. I used to watch the mailing list with Grokbase.
It somehow stops to update the mailing list and I thought you guys
were too busy to reply to us:)
In my case, I have 6 topics ech with 6 partitions. The total data volume
is about 20G.

For my question 1), is it expected to have only a single
partition after it is mirrored?

To solve the issue in 1), a topic is created on source and destination at the same
time with the same number of partitions. Then I noticed the consumers only
fetch part of data then stop. Could you weigh in on that? Thanks.

Regards,

Libo

From: Yu, Libo [ICG-IT]
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2013 11:21 AM
To: 'users@kafka.apache.org'
Subject: rebalance issues from mirrormaker

Hi,

I come across several critical issues when benchmarking mirrormakers.

1 If a topic has N partitions on source cluster, after mirroring, on the destination
cluster it has only one partition.

2 To solve the issue in 1), a topic is created on source and destination at the same
time with the same number of partitions. After the topic is created on both clusters,
some data is published to source cluster under the created topic. After publishing
is done, multiple (3 in this case) mirrormaker processes are brought up on destination
cluster to download data from the source. But the following exception occurs:

[2013-06-10 10:38:14,955] INFO [libogroup_myhost-1370875086011-c2357858], Committing all offsets
after clearing the fetcher queues (kafka.consumer.ZookeeperConsumerConnector)
Exception in thread "main" kafka.common.ConsumerRebalanceFailedException: libogroup_ myhost--1370875086011-c2357858
can't rebalance after 4 retries
        at kafka.consumer.ZookeeperConsumerConnector$ZKRebalancerListener.syncedRebalance(ZookeeperConsumerConnector.scala:397)
        at kafka.consumer.ZookeeperConsumerConnector.kafka$consumer$ZookeeperConsumerConnector$$reinitializeConsumer(ZookeeperConsumerConnector.scala:680)
        at kafka.consumer.ZookeeperConsumerConnector$WildcardStreamsHandler.<init>(ZookeeperConsumerConnector.scala:714)
        at kafka.consumer.ZookeeperConsumerConnector.createMessageStreamsByFilter(ZookeeperConsumerConnector.scala:140)
        at kafka.tools.MirrorMaker$$anonfun$4.apply(MirrorMaker.scala:118)
        at kafka.tools.MirrorMaker$$anonfun$4.apply(MirrorMaker.scala:118)
        at scala.collection.TraversableLike$$anonfun$map$1.apply(TraversableLike.scala:206)
        at scala.collection.TraversableLike$$anonfun$map$1.apply(TraversableLike.scala:206)
        at scala.collection.LinearSeqOptimized$class.foreach(LinearSeqOptimized.scala:61)
        at scala.collection.immutable.List.foreach(List.scala:45)
        at scala.collection.TraversableLike$class.map(TraversableLike.scala:206)
        at scala.collection.immutable.List.map(List.scala:45)
        at kafka.tools.MirrorMaker$.main(MirrorMaker.scala:118)
        at kafka.tools.MirrorMaker.main(MirrorMaker.scala)

3) A topic is only created on source cluster. Some data is published to the source
    cluster under the topic. Now launch multiple (3 in this case) consumer processes
    at the same time, each of which has three stream. The exception also occurs:

Exception in thread "main" [2013-06-10 10:48:28,673] INFO [libogroup_ myhost -1370875697107-38deafbc],
begin rebalancing consumer libogroup_myhost-1370875697107-38deafbc try #0 (kafka.consumer.ZookeeperConsumerConnector)
kafka.common.ConsumerRebalanceFailedException: libogroup_ myhost -1370875697107-38deafbc can't