kafka-users mailing list archives

From Tianning Zhang <Tianning.Zh...@zanox.com>
Subject Lost of messages at C++ Kafka client
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2013 09:38:18 GMT
Hi,

I am using Kafka (version 0.7.2) for publishing events from some C++ applications (ca. 20K
event /sec). The C++ client is used, which is based on asio.
With the asynchronous and batched messaging, one issue I have is that in case Kafka server
is broken, the client will not notice the socket lost immediately.  Messages go lost between
the moment the socket broke and the moment when the C++ client issues an error notification.
 Message lost is not tolerated in our application. Although we have some proprietary component
to deal with the problem – it is not a convenient solution.

As I understand, this is a known issue. But I would like to know more about experiences and
best practices for dealing this problems. What can future versions of Kafka offer to deal
with this problems?

Kind regards

Tianning Zhang ::  tianning.zhang@zanox.com<mailto:tianning.zhang@zanox.com>

[disclaimer logo: ZANOX.de AG]

STRAIGHT TO PERFORMANCE

ZANOX.de AG | Headquarters: Berlin AG Charlottenburg | HRB 75459 | VAT identification number:
DE 209981705
Executive Board: Thomas Joosten (CEO) | Stefanie Lüdecke (CSO) | Joachim Piroth (CFO) | Christian
Rebernik (CTO)
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Ralph Büchi

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify
the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system.
Any other use, copying, disclosure or distribution is strictly forbidden.

[100 Partnerprogramme 2012]