Felix,
The Camus route is the direction I have headed for allot of the reasons that you described. The only wrinkle is we are still on Kafka 0.7.3 so I am in the process of back porting this patch: https://github.com/linkedin/camus/commit/87917a2aea46da9d21c8f67129f6463af52f7aa8 that is described here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/camus_etl/VcETxkYhzg8 -- so that we can handle reading and writing non-avro'ized (if that is a word) data.

I hope to have that done sometime in the morning and would be happy to share it if others can benefit from it.

Thanks,
Andrew