kafka-users mailing list archives

From Joel Koshy <jjkosh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: consumer partition rebalancing
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 20:14:27 GMT
Correct - but since you wanted sticky allocation rebalancing wouldn't
really be necessary.

Thanks,

Joel

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Kam Kasravi <kamkasravi@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks Joel. Just to be sure - SimpleConsumer (or an IntermediateConsumer as suggested
below) does not join in partition rebalancing when another consumer in it's group joins or
a new broker joins or a new topic is created?

> ________________________________

topic and 2) theconstraintthat a single consumer C(i) within a consumer group C(g) must be
the only reader of that partition:
>>         * Are there ways to scale partition consumption if C(i) cannot keep up?
>
> To some degree - by either reducing the number of streams that C(i) is
> configured with; or by removing it altogether.
>
>>         * A way to designate particular consumers should consume particular partitions
based on consumer capability (similar to container allocation in YARN)?
>>         * A way to designate sticky consumer / partition allocation so that a new
consumer C(j) or new broker B(k) or new topic T(l) does not cause C(i) to lose particular
partitions during rebalancing?