kafka-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Otto <o...@wikimedia.org>
Subject Re: Ganglia Metrics Reporter
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2013 18:00:19 GMT
Hi Maxime,

I'm using this at the Wikimedia Foundation to send Kafka Broker metrics to Ganglia.  However,
we use Ganglia in multicast mode.  This mostly seems to work with your code, but the ttl on
the multicast packets gets set at 1.  We have sometimes have multiple levels of ganglia aggregators,
and with ttl=1, the multicast packets don't make it to the proper aggregators.

I'm looking into either forking or rewriting this library using Codahale Metrics v 3.0.1,
and supporting multicast more explicitly.  Is this something you could do better/faster than
me, or should I proceed? :)

-Andrew Otto

(Thanks for writing this, btw!)