kafka-users mailing list archives

From Aniket Bhatnagar <aniket.bhatna...@gmail.com>
Subject Strategies for auto generating broker ID
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:51:35 GMT
I would like to revive an older thread around auto generating broker ID. As
a AWS user, I would like Kafka to just use the instance's ID or instance's
IP or instance's internal domain (whichever is easier). This would mean I
can easily clone from a AMI to launch kafka instances without having to
worry about setting a unique broker ID. This also alows me to setup auto
scaling.

I realize 1 size may not fit all in this case. Other strategies that may
work for other cloud providers are generate the UUID and persist it on a
disk, etc.

What I propose is a way to define a a broker ID generation strategy in the
configuration file which points to a class file that is responsible for
generating the ID. Is this something being already worked upon?