kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Philip O'Toole" <phi...@loggly.com>
Subject Re: Why Apache Kafka is bettern than any other Message System?
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2013 03:24:11 GMT
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM, Lee, Yeon Ok (이연옥) <yeonolee@ebay.com>wrote:

> Hi, all.
> I just got curiosity why Apache Kafka is better than any other Message
> System in terms of throughput, and durability.

Because it's brilliant, that's why. :-)

> What’s the fact to let Kafka have better performance?

Because it doesn't track consumer state, not in 0.72 anyway. And it makes
very efficient use of disks.

> I read some documents and researched, however, I am not quite sure about
> that..
> And Zookeeper in Apache Kafka seems like a SPOF, Doesn’t it?

Kafka can be configured to run without Zookeeper, if you are that
concerned, at the cost of more rigid system.

> How Kafka be implemented in real world web-site?

Depends what you want to do.  Whether you need to use it is the real
question.

Philip