kafka-users mailing list archives

From Olivier Pomel <...@datadoghq.com>
Subject Re: Kafka for *critical* data
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2013 16:14:31 GMT
Richard - I can't speak about 0.8x, but we've been using Kafka in a most
critical capacity on production since the early days @ Datadog.

And...
 - It never failed (!)
 - It scaled predictably
 - Its performance was consistent
 - The simplicity of its design made it really easy to reason about

We use lots of other great piece of technologies: Redis, Cassandra,
Postgres, Elasticsearch, AWS. They're all widely accepted as "ready for
production" and we love them, yet we found Kafka to be the part of our
infrastructure that is the least likely to cause surprises.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
--
Olivier Pomel | http://datadog.com

(oh one small precision: we're not using dynamically redistributed
high-level consumers)