kafka-users mailing list archives

From Joe Stein <joe.st...@stealth.ly>
Subject Re: kafka_2.8.0/0.8.0 pom seems invalid
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2013 14:43:36 GMT
<< Heh, that sounds amazing, considering that's the binary release
version you've put up for download :)

Not really.  The Kafka broker compiled in 2.8.0 Scala is a result of "that
is how it runs at LinkedIn" originally (and still I think) and the how it
got run everywhere else as a result.  So the majority of installs from
inception has been 2.8.0 Kafka brokers... Now... for applications producing
and consuming (at least for Scala shops) 2.8.0 is just not what you want...
I switched from 2.8.0 to 2.9.0-1 almost immediately because 2.9.0-1 had
lots of features that I wanted in my business domain application (which had
nothing to-do with Kafka) and eventually to 2.10 (again, for language
features in the business domain application having nothing to-do with
Kafka). So, would Kafka benefit from compiling the broker in something
other than 2.8.0? Maybe if we wanted to use language features in the broker
or such otherwise it is proven to be stable so why add risk to something by
changing it (especially without testing and proving it in production for
the community) if it is working just fine... so, long story short it is
about risk mitigation from a production perspective.

if you are in a Java environment then it would be best to use 2.8.2 (or
even move forward) for the producer/consumer to avoid bugs between things
you might be doing in your code and the producers and consumers.  The
broker is 100% self contained so if it was going to hit any Scala bugs from
2.8.0 it would have done so already in the last few years.

<< Anyway, it seems this pom issue ought to be solvable, no?

it is very possible it was an upload issue during the release and running
it again would fix. I will update the release notes and write some code to
use to test every single version next time on staging before the vote...
and that others can use during the vote which David Arthur has now also
created too for ant/ivy

Hope things makes sense and helps to clear things up.  There has been talk
in 0.8.1 to start to move things forward from a Scala perspective.

 Joe Stein
 Founder, Principal Consultant
 Big Data Open Source Security LLC
 http://www.stealth.ly