kafka-users mailing list archives

From Joel Koshy <jjkosh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question concerning partitionNumber and Key
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2014 01:42:28 GMT
> I have 2 questions about the partition number and key.
> 1. The produceRequest will  explicitly include a partitionNumber, and messageSet which
contains messages with key(can be NULL, used to calculate partitionNumber when specified).
I am assuming all the messages in the messageSet will be published to the partitionNumber
specified. So My question is, since the partitionNumber is explicitly specified in the produce
request, will the key still be used in calculating the partition number when the request is
handled at the server side? If so, how?

The broker does not make this decision. i.e., it will attempt to
append the message to the partition specified in the produce request.

> 2. In the introduction, it mentioned we can customize the kafka.producer.Partitioner
to influence the routing decision. Would you please tell me where I can add my own Partitioner?
I use the kafka_2.8.0-0.8.0 binary, and the C++ client supporting kafka 0.8.

Which C++ library do you use? Non-java clients are maintained outside
the main Kafka code base. You will have to contact that client's
maintainer to get an answer to this question.

Joel