kafka-users mailing list archives

From Arup Malakar <amala...@gmail.com>
Subject Accessing kafka from different geo location
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2014 23:54:36 GMT
Hi,

We have a use case where we have the kafka cluster in a different
datacenter from the consumers. The kafka cluster is in the same data center
where producers are. I have heard that zookeeper could be slow if the
zookeper clients are in different geo location. Is there any best practice
for this kind of scenario?

I can think of following options:

1. If kafka supports consumers wherein consumers can talk to a different
zookeeper cluster than the ones which the kafka cluster talks to. This
assumes that consumers accesses zookeeper only to store consumer group
metadata, and it obtains broker related metadata from kafka broker itself.
This would let us have a zookeeper cluster in the same datacenter as the
consumers. Does kafka architecture allow this at all?

2. Have a zookeeper observer in the consumer datacenter.

3. Have a kafka cluster in the consumer datacenter and use KafkaMirror to
mirror between the two datacenters.

4. Move kafka cluster from producer data center to consumer datacenter.
This would mean the producers would have to write to kafka across data
centers.

I would highly appreciate your thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks,
Arup Malakar