kafka-users mailing list archives

From David Morales de Frías <dmora...@paradigmatecnologico.com>
Subject consumer reaction to auto-create topics
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2014 10:10:07 GMT
Hi there,

If i start a consumer in a non-existent topic (auto-create true) before the
producer, the consumer never gets the messages.

These are the steps:

1) kafka-console-consumer --topic newTopic (it doesn't exist)
2) kafka-console-producer --topic newTopic
3) Send some messages
4) I can see this in the log and the consumer never receives them

[2014-03-06 10:58:18,641] WARN Error while fetching metadata
[{TopicMetadata for topic newTopic ->
No partition metadata for topic newTopic due to
kafka.common.LeaderNotAvailableException}] for topic [newTopic]: class
kafka.common.LeaderNotAvailableException
 (kafka.producer.BrokerPartitionInfo)

5) restart kafka-console-consumer --topic newTopic
6) Send some messages from producer
7) Consumer receives messages.

Is that ok?
Where are the produced messages? I'm sure that consumer never see them, but
are they stored in brokers?

Regards.