kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Maier, Dr. Andreas" <andreas.ma...@asideas.de>
Subject Are offsets unique, immutable identifiers for a message in a topic?
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:38:15 GMT
Hi,

I have the following problem:
My Kafka consumer is consuming messages, but the processing of the message
might fail. I do not want to
retry until success, but instead want to quickly consume the next message.
However at a later time I might still want to reprocess the failed
messages.
So I though about storing a list of offsets of the messages that have
failed in the first try
for later processing.
But that would only make sense, if the offsets are unique, immutable
identifiers for a message within a topic. Since Kafka deletes messages or
compactifies the log after some time,
I was wondering if this is really the case?
If not, how could I then uniquely identify a message within a topic, so
that a consumer knows from
where to start consuming again?

Thank you,
Andreas Maier

AS ideAS Engineering
Axel-Springer-Straße 65
10888 Berlin
Mobil: +49 (0) 151 ­ 730 26 414
andreas.maier@asideas.de

Axel Springer ideAS Engineering GmbH
Ein Unternehmen der Axel Springer SE
Sitz Berlin, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 138466 B
Geschäftsführer: Daniel Keller, Niels Matusch