kafka-users mailing list archives

From S L <slouie.at.w...@gmail.com>
Subject What do the numbers in the ConsumerOffsetChecker mean
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 07:32:10 GMT
Hi,

Just wondering what the units for the results from the
ConsumerOffsetChecker are.

For example, this was the output when we ran the OffsetChecker:
Group           Topic                          Pid Offset          logSize
        Lag             Owner
xml1      xmlnew                      0   28317611        32809085
 4491474         none

Is the lag in bytes or is it an offset pointer of where it's at in the
topic, or am I totally off and it means something else?  Just asking
because one time our consumer was stopped for about 30 min but the lag
value / logSize didn't grow as much as we thought it should in a 30 min
period.  We know we should get 100+MB of data a minute but the Lag value
was something like 60000 when we checked after 30 min.

We looked at this site
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/FAQ#FAQ-Myconsumerseemstohavestopped%2Cwhy%3F

which makes it look like it represents bytes, yet looking at the
kafka.apache.org (
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#basic_ops_consumer_lag) site
makes it sound like it represents a position in the topic.

Thanks in advance for your help.