kafka-users mailing list archives

From David McWhorter <mcwhor...@ccri.com>
Subject common client for 0.7.2 & 0.8 clusters?
Date Thu, 22 May 2014 17:53:40 GMT
Hi all, we have an application that needs to support producing and
consuming data to/from kafka 0.7.2 and 0.8 clusters in different
environments.   I understand that the 0.8 release was a substantial
change and that a cluster itself cannot be upgraded from 0.7 to 0.8 as
normal and you must follow the instructions noted on this page
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Migrating+from+0.7+to+0.8.
However, I was wondering if it is possible to use one of the client
versions (0.7.2. or 0.8) and have it interact successfully
(produce/consume) data with both a 0.7 and 0.8 cluster.  That is, can I
use a 0.8 client and have it successfully negotiate to use the 0.7.2
protocol with a 0.7.2 cluster, or alternately is it possible to use a
0.7.2. client with a 0.8 cluster?  I've searched for a while for a
definitive answer to this question, but please feel free to point me to
relevant documentation I may have missed.

Thanks,
David
--
*David McWhorter*