kafka-users mailing list archives

From svante karlsson <s...@csi.se>
Subject Re: Adding partitions...
Date Fri, 23 May 2014 12:41:22 GMT
No reshuffeling will take place. And reading messages and put them back in
again will not remove the messages from their "old" partition so the same
message will the exist in more than one partition - eventually to get aged
out of the oldest partion.

If you use partitioning to distribute the load then it's possible to just
leave the old data in the existing partitions and let newer data fill all
the partitions.

If the partitioning means something to your applications then you can
always create a new topic and populate that from the old topic. This will
double your data for some time before you can age out the old topic.