kafka-users mailing list archives

From Chris Helck <Chris.He...@ebs.com>
Subject Consumer's Group.id and autooffset.reset
Date Mon, 05 May 2014 12:28:42 GMT
Would some one explain the interplay between the group.id and autooffset.reset config parameters?
I wrote a simple Consumer that had

    group.id =  "XYZZY"
    autooffset.reset = smallest

My intention was to write something similar to Kafka's ConsoleConsumer; that each time my
Consumer ran, it would start at the beginning and read all of the messages available. I discovered
that it only read the messages the first time, and that I need to change the group.id and
reset to smallest.

A general question is why?
A specific question is: What are use cases where I would change the group.id, what are use
cases where I want it to remain the same?

Thanks,
C. Helck

This communication and all information contained in or attached to it (including, but not
limited to market prices/levels and market commentary) (the “Information”) is for informational
purposes only, is confidential, may be legally privileged and is the intellectual property
of one of the companies of ICAP plc group (“ICAP”) or third parties. The Information is
not, and should not be construed as, an offer, bid, recommendation or solicitation in relation
to any financial instrument or investment or to participate in any particular trading strategy.
The Information is not to be relied upon and is not warranted, including, but not limited,
as to completeness, timeliness or accuracy and is subject to change without notice. All representations
and warranties are expressly disclaimed. Access to the Information by anyone other than the intended
recipient is unauthorised and any disclosure, copying or redistribution is prohibited. If
you receive this message in error, please immediately delete all copies of it and notify the
sender. For further information, please see ebs.com.