kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Lung, Paul" <pl...@ebay.com>
Subject Blacklisting Brokers
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2014 01:20:35 GMT
Hi All,

Is there anyway to blacklist brokers? Sometimes we run into situations where there are certain
hardware failures on a broker machine, and the machines goes into a “half dead” state.
The broker process is up and participating in the cluster, but it can’t actually transmit
messages properly. Sometimes, even SSH fails on the machines, and we can’t log in to shutdown
the broker process. The only way to resolve this issue at this point is to shutdown the machine,
which is not always easy in a large data center scenario. The consequences are disastrous
if this half dead broker is elected as the leader. So in this situation, it would be nice
to be able to quickly black list a broker.

Thank you.
Paul Lung