kafka-users mailing list archives

From Weide Zhang <weo...@gmail.com>
Subject offset commit api
Date Sun, 03 Aug 2014 23:34:43 GMT
Hi,

I'm reading the offset management on the API link.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/A+Guide+To+The+Kafka+Protocol#AGuideToTheKafkaProtocol-OffsetCommit/FetchAPI

I have a couple of questions regarding using the offset fetch and commit
API in 0.8.1.1 ?

1. Is the new offset commit and fetch api usable in use in 0.8.1.1 ?  Does
0.8.1.1 already support offset coordinator ?

2. what's the difference between old offsetrequest and new
offsetfetchrequest ? It seems to me that the new api support per consumer
group offset management fetch while old api doesn't. Also, what's the
purpose of using a timestamp parameter in the fetch request ?

3. In 0.8.1.1, the OffsetCommitRequest uses OffsetMetadataAndError, could
you tell me what's the purpose of the error parameter and metadata
parameter in the request ?

4. Can I assume the offset management is purely independent of message
consumption ? In other words, if I use a simple consumer to fetch message
with random client id, can I still manually set some consumer group along
with offset in the offset commit message ? Is that allowed ?

Thanks,

Weide