kafka-users mailing list archives

From Marcos Juarez <mjua...@gmail.com>
Subject Kafka 0.8 automatically changing leadership
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2014 22:01:59 GMT
Hi,

We have a Kafka 0.8 cluster in a test environment (in this case, on AWS EC2
nodes).  Even though we've tried to run very little load on this test
cluster, it seems like the instances can't even keep up with that.
 Leadership moves automatically for at least a few of the topics, which
never happens when we run them on our prod, non-AWS hardware.  This causes
us to eventually have to rebalance the topics on those test clusters, which
is annoying.

Can any of you point me to the set of conditions/thresholds that have to be
met for the Kafka cluster to decide to automatically move leadership of a
topic/partition to another replica in the ISR?  I'd like to understand how
exactly Kafka does this, to see if we can provision an instance type for
those test Kakfa clusters that can handle the load without moving
leadership around.

Thanks,

Marcos Juarez