kafka-users mailing list archives

From siddharth ubale <siddharth.ub...@gmail.com>
Subject Kafka topics behaviour
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2014 10:16:27 GMT
Hi ,

I am using Kafka 2.10_8.1.1 in the local mode , multi broker scenario.
I wanted to establish how reliable is Kafka when it somes to guaranteed
messaging , so i came with following results. wanted to know if this
behaviour will be same distributed environment.
The results are as follows :
1. When i start a topic and send messages to it via producer. I am able to
receive it even after closing the producer. Seems fine.

2. When i start a topic and relay messages to it. and check the consumer
console for that topic i can see the messages. when i stop the server , the
consumer console also stops , upon starting the stopped server at that
instant i can again see the remaining messages being relayed.seems fine.

3. When i close the kafka servers and also the zookeeper daemon. And start
zookeeper and kafka again. I am able to check the data on topic from
beginning as i had relayed it.again fine.

4. but when i close my Ubuntu virtual machine and i start Kafka and
Zookeeper again. I can see the topics present in the kafka cluster. However
all are default to 0 offset and data seems to have been lost.I can open the
topics but i am unable to see the data that i had sent to the topics before
shutting down my virtual machine. IS THIS THE WAY KAFKA FUNCTIONS IN
DISTRIBUTED MODE ALSO??

Thanks,
Siddharth Ubale