kafka-users mailing list archives

From Devendra Tagare <devendra.tag...@pubmatic.com>
Subject RE: Issue with async producer
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2014 18:16:21 GMT
Hi,

Which version of Kafka are you using?
0.8.0

Is the broker I/O or network saturated? - typical writes are around 45 MB per broker &
there are streaming as well as batch consumers.

We are already sending across compressed packets & the batch size is 100.

Also, we tried the sync producer but were not able to enforce the timeouts on it.Is there
anything that needs to be taken care of in this case?

Regards,
Dev
________________________________
From: Devendra Tagare
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 10:02 AM
To: users@kafka.apache.org
Cc: Devendra Tagare
Subject: Issue with async producer

Hi,

We are using an async producer to send data to kafka.

The load the sender handles is around 250 rps ,the size of a message is around 25K.

The configs used in the producer are :

request.required.acks=0
producer.type=async
batch.num.messages=10
topic.metadata.refresh.interval.ms=30000
queue.buffering.max.ms=300
queue.enqueue.timeout.ms=50

While the asnc producer works  perfectly fine  at 150-175 rps,the invoking method returns
under 10 ms.The invoking method takes around 20000ms to return when the load increases to
250rps.

On investigation we noticed QueueFullExceptions in the logs.

On the kafka side the memory utilization was high.Is is because the fsync to memory is not
happening fast enough?
The document says the OS level fsync interval should take care of the interval at which writes
are happening.Should we expediate the write using

log.flush.interval.messages
and log.flush.interval.ms.

Also, we tried the sync producer but were not able to enforce the timeouts on it.

We have 45 producers & 11 Kafka servers which handle a load of around 500mn events per
day.

Some of the server side properties we are using:

log.segment.bytes=536870912
log.retention.check.interval.ms=60000
zookeeper.connection.timeout.ms=1000000

Regards,