kafka-users mailing list archives

From Joe Stein <joe.st...@stealth.ly>
Subject Re: rule to set number of brokers for each server
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2014 17:41:10 GMT
Unless you are using some containerized implementation setting more than
one broker on a server is likely going defeat some of the benefit Kafka
brings with how it leverages page cache (more on that here
https://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#maximizingefficiency). You also
need to think about competing for the disk usage too.

If this is just for testing development then having more than 3 brokers
allows you to play with more failure and operation maintenance
https://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#basic_ops scenarios (especially
if you set replication=3).

 Joe Stein
 Founder, Principal Consultant