kafka-users mailing list archives

From Jiangjie Qin <j...@linkedin.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: How many messages does each broker have?
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2014 01:07:52 GMT
Palur,

Just adding to what Guozhang said, the answer to your question might
depend on which producer you are using.
Assuming you are producing messages without keys to the same topic, in new
producer(KafkaProducer), the messages will go to brokers in a round robin
way, so the messages will end up in brokers evenly distributed. Whereas in
old producer, it actually sticks to a particular broker for 10 min (by
default) then switch to another random partition. In that case, if you
send messages fast enough, you might see uneven distribution in brokers.

For the consumer, if you are using high level consumer, when reading from
KafkaStream, you will get MessageAndMetadata, the topic and partition
information is included in it as well as the raw message.

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin