kafka-users mailing list archives

From David Montgomery <davidmontgom...@gmail.com>
Subject How to push metrics to graphite - jmxtrans does not work
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2014 07:59:59 GMT
Hi,

I am having a very difficult time trying to report kafka 8 metrics to
Graphite.  Nothing is listening on 9999 and and no data in graphite.  If
this method of graphite reporting is know to not work is there an
alternative to jmxtrans to get data to graphite?

I am using the deb file to install jmxtrans on ubuntu 12.04

And I use the below to modify kafka scripts

echo 'KAFKA_JMX_OPTS="-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote=true
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false"' | tee -a
/var/kafka/bin/kafka-run-class.sh
echo 'export JMX_PORT=${JMX_PORT:-9999}' | tee -a
/var/kafka/bin/kafka-server-start.sh

{
  "servers" : [ {
    "host" : "127.0.0.1",
    "port" : "9999",
    "alias" : "<%=node.name%>",
    "queries" : [
 {
         "obj" : "kafka:type=kafka.SocketServerStats",
          "resultAlias": "kafka.socketServerStats",
          "attr" : [ "AvgFetchRequestMs", "AvgProduceRequestMs",
"BytesReadPerSecond", "BytesWrittenPerSecond", "FetchRequestsPerSecond",
"MaxFetchRequestMs", "MaxProduceRequestMs" , "NumFetchRequests" ,
"NumProduceRequests" , "ProduceRequestsPerSecond", "TotalBytesRead",
"TotalBytesWritten", "TotalFetchRequestMs", "TotalProduceRequestMs" ],
     "outputWriters" : [ {
          "@class" : "com.googlecode.jmxtrans.model.output.GraphiteWriter",
          "settings" : {
            "host" : "<%=@monitor_host%>",