kafka-users mailing list archives

From Shannon Lloyd <shanl...@gmail.com>
Subject Version numbers
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 01:12:19 GMT
Is there a reason why the 0.8.2 branch (which I assume is essentially a
release branch for the pending 0.8.2 release) has the version number
statically set to 0.8.2-beta rather than a -SNAPSHOT version (e.g.
0.8.2-SNAPSHOT or similar)? 0.8.2-beta should technically refer to the
released beta, yes? Or are you using -beta here to effectively mean
-SNAPSHOT and reserve the right to update the 0.8.2-beta tgz on the
website? (Do you in fact update the version on the website?) The main
problems with this are that tools like Maven/Gradle consider versions like
0.8.2-beta to be immutable, so it's a PITA to get them to update in your
IDE etc. And it just feels wrong having non-SNAPSHOT versions getting
clobbered in my local m2 and Gradle caches.

Cheers,
Shannon