kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Dieterly, Deklan" <deklan.diete...@hp.com>
Subject Best Go Client Library
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2015 23:42:10 GMT
I’m looking at implementing Kafka consumers in Go. From the Kafka wiki, I see that there
are two clients available.

1. https://github.com/Shopify/sarama
2. https://github.com/stealthly/go_kafka_client

Of the two which is more fully featured? Specifically, I’m looking for automatic load balancing
and fail-over when consumer clients fail. I was disappointed with the Python client library
(https://github.com/mumrah/kafka-python) that did not have this functionality built into it
and I want to make sure that I don’t make another choice were I’ll be disappointed. Are
there any reasons to prefer one of the listed Go clients over the other? Are there any gotchas
with either of the two client libraries?

Thanks.

>From the wiki at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Clients#Clients-Go%28AKAgolang%29
Go (AKA golang)

Pure Go implementation with full protocol support. Consumer and Producer implementations included,
GZIP and Snappy compression supported.

Maintainer: Shopify<http://shopify.com>
License: MIT

https://github.com/Shopify/sarama

Another Pure Go implementation built to work as like the "Consumer Group" High Level Consumer
with more features including plug-able partition ownership and work fan out.

Maintainer: Big Data Open Source Security<https://www.linkedin.com/company/big-data-open-source-security-llc>
License: Apache v2.0

https://github.com/stealthly/go_kafka_client

Regards.