kafka-users mailing list archives

From Chris Riccomini <criccom...@linkedin.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: KOYA vs. Samza?
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2015 20:34:25 GMT
Hey Otis,

I'm not terribly familiar with KOYA, but my understanding is that it's a
tool for deploying Kafka brokers to YARN, and administering them. I don't
think that it has any stream processing functionality built into it. As
such, it seems to me that KOYA and Samza could be used together: you could
use KOYA to deploy Kafka in YARN, and Samza to read/write messages from
the brokers that have been deployed.

Samza provides containers that have consumers/producers in them, and allow
you to plug in processing logic as new messages arrive. Samza's goal is to
provide features that are useful when you're processing the messages, such
as fault tolerance (restarting consumers/producers when they fail),
checkpointing (saving offsets), state management (if you're counting
messages, you want to make sure your count is accurate even if you fail),
etc.

Cheers,
Chris