kafka-users mailing list archives

From Joel Koshy <jjkosh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Turning on cleanup.policy=compact for a topic => not starting cleanup ?
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2015 23:07:24 GMT
- Can you check the log cleaner logs?
- Do you have any compressed messages in your log? Or messages without
  a key?
- By default it is in a log-cleaner.log file unless you modified that.
- Can you take a thread-dump to see if the log cleaner is still alive?
- Also, there is an mbean that you can poke: "max-dirty-percent" under
  log cleaner. Can you check on its value?

Thanks,

Joel

On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 10:59:27PM +0000, Thunder Stumpges wrote:
> Hi guys, I am having a difficult time getting the log compaction to run on a topic I
created initially with cleanup.policy=delete. Here's the details:

> 3 brokers, 0.8.1.1 all have log.cleaner.enable=true (other than this there are no non-defaults
set in our server.properties)

> Create the topic first with policy=delete and a short window. Wanted to see that the
segments were being created and deleted by the "normal" delete retention. This seemed to work
fine. New segments created every 6 seconds while I add some test data, then the cleaner comes
along and deletes log segments after 1min.

> sudo bin/kafka-topics.sh --zookeeper zk1:2181/kafka --create --topic dev_testcompact
--partitions 10 --replication-factor 3 --config cleanup.policy=delete --config segment.ms=6000
--config retention.ms=60000

> Then I tried to update the policy to do compact:
> sudo bin/kafka-topics.sh --zookeeper zk1:2181/kafka --alter --topic dev_testcompact --config
cleanup.policy=compact --config min.cleanable.dirty.ratio=0.3 -config delete.retention.ms=60000

> From this point, the deletion retention stopped cleaning up, but the compact cleaner
doesn't seem to be running at all. I was expecting that after 15 seconds (default for setting
log.cleaner.backoff.ms) the cleaner would come in and compact the old segments. I now have
generated 400 rows across 40 keys (so there is plenty to compact). Segments are being created
every 6 seconds per the config.

> I have also tried removing the deletion related config:
>
> sudo bin/kafka-topics.sh --zookeeper zk1:2181/kafka --alter --topic dev_testcompact --deleteConfig
retention.ms

> I then restarted one of the three brokers wondering if it needed to restart to pick up
new configs, still no clenup. What am I doing wrong?!