kafka-users mailing list archives

From t...@borked.ca
Subject Re: ping kafka server
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2015 23:01:08 GMT
Hi gwen,

Can you share how you do these end to end latency tests? I am more sysadmin than coder and
have wanted to get something like that going for my kafka clusters. I'd love more details
about how you do it, and how you monitor the results.

Thanks!

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the TELUS network.
  Original Message
From: Gwen Shapira
Sent: Monday, February 9, 2015 5:55 PM
To: users@kafka.apache.org
Reply To: users@kafka.apache.org
Subject: Re: ping kafka server

It's safe.

Just note that if you send Kafka anything it does not like, it will close
the connection on you. This is intentional and doesn't signal an issue with
Kafka.

Not sure if Nagios does this, but I like "canary" tests - produce a message
with timestamp every X seconds and have a monitor that consumes the
messages and check timestamps. This way you get both end-to-end monitoring
and latency alerts. What could be more fun? :)

Gwen