kafka-users mailing list archives

From Alec Ten Harmsel <a...@alectenharmsel.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: Java NPE in using KafkaConsumer API
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:16:23 GMT

On 03/30/2015 04:35 AM, Sandeep Bishnoi wrote:

>   The consumer.poll() api is returning null always. Although the remaining
> code is based on the returned value from poll.
>
>   Can you please let me know whether
> org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.KafkaConsumer is a valid API to use if I
> want to create a client which can read from a given partition of a given
> topic.
>
> Best Regards,
> Sandeep

The KafkaConsumer class is still being implemented, so this is the
expected behavior for right now. The Java Client API is brand new, and
the Consumer API is not ready for production yet AFAIK.

I have no idea when the next release will be, but it still looks this
has not been implemented yet:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/0.8.2/clients/src/main/java/org/apache/kafka/clients/consumer/KafkaConsumer.java#L555

I've been hitting the same issue since I just started playing with
Kafka, so I'm going to wait for future releases. I think the old Scala
consumer API is the only way to go right now.

Regards,

Alec