kafka-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel <ele...@msn.com>
Subject RE: Post on running Kafka at LinkedIn
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2015 22:41:05 GMT
This is why I'm confused because I'm tryign to benchmark and I see numbers that seem pretty
low to me...8000 events/sec on 2 brokers with 3CPU each and 5 partitions should be way faster
than this and I don't know where to start to debug...
the kafka-consumer-perf-test script gives me ridiculously low numbers (1000 events/sec/thread)

So what could be causing this?
From: jbringhurst@linkedin.com.INVALID
To: users@kafka.apache.org
Subject: Re: Post on running Kafka at LinkedIn
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 22:16:29 +0000

Keep in mind that these brokers aren't really stressed too much at any given time -- we need
to stay ahead of the capacity curve.
Your message throughput will really just depend on what hardware you're using. However, in
the past, we've benchmarked at 400,000 to more than 800,000 messages / broker / sec, depending
on configuration (https://engineering.linkedin.com/kafka/benchmarking-apache-kafka-2-million-writes-second-three-cheap-machines).

-Jon
On Mar 20, 2015, at 3:03 PM, Emmanuel <eleroy@msn.com> wrote:800B messages / day = 9.26M
messages / sec over 1100 brokers
= ~8400 message / broker / sec
Do I get this right?
Trying to benchmark my own test cluster and that's what I see with 2 brokers...Just wondering
if my numbers are good or bad...